Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

"Just as night was falling, the Russians arrived in Passek"


This is one of the many letters that form a part of the documentation of my father's history. The letter was written in Passek, now in the northern Czech Republic, in 1945. The author was the wife of the forester who was responsible for the immediate area around my father's house. After the Winkelbauers were prevented from returning to their properties there--by 1944 it was more or less impossible to get back--the forester and his family moved into the house in an effort to protect it from being looted by partisans.

The fate of the people that lived in this area is harrowing. First annexed by the Nazis in 1938, with the expulsion of all Jewish citizens shortly thereafter (all of whom died in Auschwitz), followed by continuous tension between Nazi sympathizers, communists, partisans, and the many innocent apolitical people caught inbetween. This came to a head in 1945, with the wholesale expulsion of all "ethnic Germans". It is worth mentioning here that the Russian soldier was a terrifying prospect to those concerned in this letter, and the opponent feared above all others for their ruthlessness and brutality.

My grandmother was known as the "Frau Professor" because of her husband's profession. The Forsthaus was a traditionally built house in the woods at the foot of the Jescken mountain. The Diehle was the children's sitting area, where my father and his siblings were sitting playing cards the night war was declared.


October 9, 1945
My dear Frau Professor

After a long and difficult time it is finally possible for me to sit down and write to you, and I hope that these lines will indeed reach you, and find you in good health. I want to write to you a little of what has happened to us in Passek, and know that you will accept all this news with a brave heart.

On Wednesday the 9th of May, just as night was falling, the Russians arrived in Passek. On the next day, at about 9:00, thirteen critically injured German soldiers were brought to us here in the Forsthaus. In just a few minutes, the dining room as well as the sitting room were transformed into a hospital. My husband and I helped as best we could, assisting the young Swiss doctor who was trying to save the lives of the soldiers. We worked with all our strength. Then some two hours later sixty Russians with horses and wagons pulled up as well. Every door, every item in the house with a latch or a lock had to be opened, and in no time the entire house was full of Russians. We had to give them everything we had in the way of food and supplies, and my two goats were milked and milked, and this was put into the large crock in the larder, from which I was then able to dole it out and provide for them. It was a terrible shock for me, and I was afraid my nerves would not hold out that night. My husband gave me courage, and helped me to pull myself together and told me, we must stay brave. God would not desert us. And he didn’t: after a sleepless night the Russians left, and the German military as well--by 9:00 in the morning everyone was gone, and we were safe.

Then came very difficult days for us, days that my husband and I will never forget. I was alone in the house for days on end, since my husband had to go to Neuland and Christofsgrund to help out because the game-keeper Jarisch has been ill. Because by that time we had had to surrender all weapons I had to rely on Taus to protect me. But the clever and loyal dog missed his master, and followed his scent over the mountain and took up residence with the already overburdened Jarisch family. From then on, Taus stayed with them. 

The 25th of July was a rainy day. At 2:45 in the afternoon, we were forced out of the the house in Passek. Frau Professor, the goodbye was very bitter. I will not speak of the great grief this caused me. It caused me such pain to know that we were leaving this place not knowing the fate of our son. He remains missing, and still no word whether he is dead or alive.  On the 29th of this month I will have been married 18 years, and in this time I have never so much as seen a tear in the eye of my dear husband. His work as a forester here in these woods, which he loved with body and soul, was at an end, and on that day Frau Professor I must tell you that he cried.  And my poor cat sat so sadly by the door. How much I would have liked to take her with me! She stayed on as the last resident, and we went to Rohan, to the house of my parents in Watzelsbrunn. My poor ill mother, whom I had not seen in 4 months, was happy to have us and took us in.

We were not granted much time with her. She died on the 11th of September, and closed her tired eyes for good at midnight. She had so hoped that her young Helmut might return but he didn’t; she died without ever seeing him again. Frau Professor, not knowing the fate of our son has been harrowing for us.

I will just return briefly to the time shortly before our departure from the house in Passek. We defended the house bravely and did our best, protecting your things as well as those of Countess Podstatzky and Princess Auersperg, right up to the last minute of our time there. Everything in the house was seized by the locality of Nacodny Tybor. The rooms were locked and sealed.  My husband is unconsolable, and we do not know what our future will be. As you will know, the German speaking population has been moved out, and what will happen next seems to change every day. We are wondering whether you have heard anything in Austria? What will happen to your estates? If you know of any place we can stay, we would be grateful. How are all of you? Did Rudolf come home? How is the Herr Professor? Are you all safe and healthy? How is Miss Edina? Is she still in Bavaria or was she able to return to Vienna?  Are Marie and Mitzi still with you? My single wish is that we could all be reunited, healthy and safe.

Frau Professor, I could write more, but I cannot bring myself to. I hope to be able to see you and discuss these things. In the Diehle upstairs, there was the picture of the Hunting lodge in Wittighaus with the beautiful poem:  “ Unfortgetable is the place...where once we were happy”. It was standing in that spot that I said my final goodbye to the peaceful Forsthausin the woods.